- Snowshoe hare as well as short-tailed and long-tailed weasels turn white in winter in response to:
A. Decreasing day length
B. First snow
C. Cold temperatures
D. Both A and C
- True or False? In snowshoe hare and squirrel tracks, the forefeet land first and then the hind feet come around the outside to land in front. Hence, the larger hind feet are leading in the direction of travel.
- Which of these creatures is NOT considered to be an active winter animal?
A. Red squirrel
C. Woodland jumping mouse
- Look closely at the bark of a birch tree. What are the horizontal lines found on the bark and what is their purpose?
- True or False? Nests of paper wasps, hornets and yellow jackets can be safely examined as soon as winter arrives with its below-freezing temperatures.